Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Backpackers 101


Today we had to put Velma in the shop for some minor tune up work which left us with a day to explore, so we decided to go the Auckland Zoo.  During our walk to the zoo we passed through a park where we saw a small child with a loaf of bread almost get mauled by a group of very colorful native birds and a pair of very large black geese or swans.  (No children were harmed in the making of this blog, he threw the bread just in time).

The zoo is a fairly small one, with the highlights being the Australian walkabout section and the section devoted to native New Zealand flora and fauna.  I can't remember a time when I've seen a kangaroo in person, and the New Zealand kiwi bird and eels were awesome.  I didn't get a picture of the eels, but they were HUGE.  I've heard that kiwi birds are quite hard to see in the wild, being that they're nocturnal and shy. However that's what they said about the Puerto Rican koki frog, and I found one my first try with a photo to prove it.  We shall see…
The elusive Kiwi bird, Icon of New Zealand

Anyways, Velma is now in tip top shape (well, mostly) and we have reinstalled the bed and stocked her full of camping gear.  We have everything we need now, from camping chairs to gas cooker and we're ready to take New Zealand head on.

Until then however, we'll be staying in Auckland to find work over the winter.  Being that Kayleigh and I have visited quite a few neighborhoods now on our walks, we're starting to get a general feeling for the city.  If you like food or coffee, there is something here for you.  Every main thoroughfare is lined with cafes, bars and restaurants with cuisine from all over the world (though still no mexican :( ).  I certainly wasn't expected such a cosmopolitan city before arriving.  There are quite a few types of cuisines that I never saw around the bay, including Laos, Cambodian, Malaysian, Turkish and non sushi Japanese food.  I can't wait to try them all, and I already feel like a whole new world of food is being opened up.  Kayleigh and I have already fallen in love with Indian food since we've got here (I know you can find them at home, but they're EVERYWHERE here).

Speaking of food, it seems like everyone in the hostel knows how to cook really well and do it on a budget.  I've seen all sorts of gourmet looking pastas, sandwiches, stews, and even home made breads and granola bars! Not only do they cook well, but it has that presentational flair.  Kayleigh and I are definitely going to have to learn a thing or two.  

So to wrap up, here is a very brief list of kiwisms 

-Saturday is kind of like Sunday in the states, and Sunday the country pretty much shuts down
-WiFi is charged per MB used, like data on a phone (which is why we have not done any videos yet!)
-Coolers are called chilly bins
-A hostel is called a backpacker

P.S.
I'm trying to convince Kayleigh write her first blog so it won't just be me yammering on here, and shout out to the biggest fan of our blog, Noah ;).  

No comments:

Post a Comment