Monday, January 20, 2014

Shapeshifter

Since the epic first notes of Dutchies when I heard Shapeshifter for the first time, I've been curious what kind of live show this band could put on.  We missed the first show they put on at the Powerstation in Auckland because we wanted to catch them at a New Years festival, but what with CoroGold being off for a year and Shapeshifter signing on to headline Rhythm and Vines whose lineup wasn't fantastic and whose ticket prices were astronomical, I had sadly resigned myself to having missed the opportunity.  But then they announced a string of shows clustered around the holidays and I jumped at the chance.  We actually had to rearrange all of our holiday time plans to accommodate it, but in the end I'm glad we did.

Before then I'd never been to a concert that wasn't for a hard rock/metal band and had my doubts as to whether or not anything else could put up the energy that makes a live show interesting to me.  Now I know - Shapeshifter has what it takes.  When we first arrived at the venue we seemed out of place, as the crowd was composed primarily of young 18 year olds fresh out of high school all binge drinking like there's no tomorrow.  But once the music started the atmosphere changed, the energy exchange amongst the crowd and the band was electric.  I've never really felt anything like it, honestly.  There was not one person who was not right there right then, completely in it.  It was truly special.  

They opened quite appropriately with Dutchies, and continued to roll out many of my favorite tunes.  Megan bailed out of the center of the crowd for some more space while Kayleigh and I pushed our way to the front.  We made it to about the third row back from the railing and stayed there most of the night.  Kayleigh waited and waited for them to play her song, In Colour, but it never came.  They walked off stage and we waited for the encore, Kayleigh still hoping they would play it.  They came back out and started another song, but it wasn't the one and Kayleigh had given up all hope when finally the first notes rang out for their last song of the night. All the colors ignited that night.   



No comments:

Post a Comment