Monday, July 15, 2013

Bringing Home the Bacon

Now I know I don't look the part but food is one of the my great loves, and I have to admit that before coming to New Zealand I didn't know what to expect of kiwi cuisine.  I had never heard of any kiwi specialties, and as it turns out that is because there really aren't any.  It may sound like a grim start to a blog about food, but one of the great things about travel is there are surprises around every turn.  

One of the first surprises to greet us was the discovery of a previously unknown fruit: the feijoa.  These delicious little wonders are native to South America, but given the prolific rate at which they grow around here it seems as though they like New Zealand better (and I can't blame them!)  Feijoas also go by another name - Pineapple Guava (also Guavasteen) -  which is a pretty good description of their taste. They are contending with grapes and oranges for the best non-tropical fruit as far as I'm concerned.  Apparently they are also grown in northern California and other parts of the US, so if you ever see one at your local farmer's market or grocery store be sure to try it.



Aside from the excitement of trying an exotic new fruit (which New Zealand can't even claim as its own), it would be easy to come to the conclusion that NZ doesn't have much to offer in the realm of food, and honestly it wouldn't be totally unfounded (unless you live and die by Marmite).  If there is one thing that is New Zealand's saving grace however (I'll give you a hint, it's not Marmite), it is the ability to do the simple things right.  In fact, that fits perfectly with New Zealand's self-imaging and is one of the most attractive and unique things about the country.  It doesn't have the in-your-face glitz of many other international destinations, but it makes up for it with an organic, down-to-earth rawness.  The same is true for kiwi food, it is the basics where New Zealand really shines: meat, bread and dairy.  It is just less processed than what we Americans get.  Take for example that my first meal in NZ was a hamburger, an American classic. After the first bite I was floored to discover that NZ does it better than we do.  There is just no arguing with the quality of the beef (which undoubtedly comes from grass fed free range cattle), it was arguably the best hamburger I'd ever had.  I know my European friends may find this contentious, but I found plain store bought cheese, bread, milk, and eggs, to be delicious, and don't even get me started on the ice cream, lamb or bacon. Bacon was already just about the best food on the planet, how kiwis have improved perfection is a mystery for the ages.


This is quite a compelling argument...



Food Related Kiwisms:
delicious = yum
thin cake = slice
powdered sugar = icing sugar
non-chocolate candy = lollies
capsicum = bell pepper
RE: cheddar cheese - it isn't orange and apparently isn't suppose to be (is my yank showing again?)
RE: eggs - it is completely unnecessary to refrigerate them (and again??)
RE: bacon - legendary is the only apt word to describe it 
RE: marmite - New Zealand's alternative to Australia's vegemite. A yeast spread - stay far, far away from it

No comments:

Post a Comment